Blackberry brand is one of the best brands in the market. It has slowed down a little bit due to rise of Android but still very popular. Find My Blackberry is not an app just like Find my iPhone but Blackberry provides an app called Blackberry Protect to find and track your blackberry device. You can use Blackberry protect to locate your stolen phone. You can also use it to lock it remotely along with loud ring facility in case you lost it somewhere.
Blackberry Protect will show you the nearest possible location of your phone in the map. If you are sure that your phone is stolen then you can simply lock it.
Already know how to use? : Go to BlackBerry Protect Login directly.
Blackberry Protect app can be installed on OS version 7.1 and earlier. If you are running on Blackberry 10 OS then Protect is a built in feature and you don’t need to install it.
In order to use Blackberry protect, you need below required things:
- Blackberry OS 4.6 or later is required to install blackberry protect.
- An active internet data plan is required.
- Blackberry ID credential is required to use Blackberry protect.
- Your Blackberry device should not be activated on Blackberry Enterprise server.
Some times you can not install Blackberry Protect because it is activated on Enterprise server or your device is loaded with IT policy. It happens in 2 cases. You got the phone from your company or purchased an old phone which was activated on enterprise server.
If you install Blackberry protect on such devices then after clicking the protect icon you will get the below message:
To remove IT policy from your blackberry device visit here: “How to remove an IT policy from a BlackBerry smartphone” Once you follow all the steps, you will be able to use Protect app.
Blackberry Protect has 4 important features to use:
- You can delete entire information on your Blackberry device remotely.
- You can send a message to be displayed on homescreen when lost.
- You can “Play Sound” when misplaced phone in home or office.
- You can “Lock Device” to protect your phone from unauthorized use.
Both are very useful. If someone sees your message after finding it then he/she can return you. If you are pretty sure that you are not going to get it back again then you can delete the entire data of your phone.
You need to do few things before you can track blackberry phone on a map. You need to allow location tracking for your device.
Follow the below steps to enable location reporting:
- Click “Blackberry Protect” on home screen or a folder.
- Click on “Menu” and select “options”.
- Select Check Box in front of “I want this device’s location to be viewable from the BlackBerry Protect web site” in location reporting section.
In order to see blackberry location, follow the below steps:
- Open BlackBerry Protect website in your PC or phone.
- Login with your BlackBerry® ID.
- Click on “View Location”. Now wait till Blackberry protect find your device and show the location on the map.
- It uses GPS on your phone. Data plan must be active to use such features.
As you can see that there are 4 more options in the image above. In order to use them directly you need to follow the above steps. You can do these things both from phone and PC.
Simply sign in to Blackberry Protect website using your Blackberry ID credentials. Now choose any one of the options. Use “Wipe Device” option only if you are sure that you are not going to get it back. If you lost your smartphone somewhere then you can lock it immediately using “Lock Device” feature. Use “Play sound” option if you misplaced in home or office. It will override other features of sound such as meeting, silent or vibrate.
Blackberry protect can also be used to backup your data. It can also be used to restore data from old phone to new phone. Once you select the desired option Blackberry protect will automatically save all your selected data. The backup happens whenever your blackberry smartphone is idle.
Steps to backup data from your smartphone using Protect App:
- Open blackberry protect from home screen.
- Click “Back Up Now” on the protect screen.
You can change and select multiple options regarding backup. Follow the below steps:
- Open Blackberry Protect App from home screen.
- Press menu key and select options.
- Go to “Backup Options” section. Now you will see many options.
- Automatic Backup, Backup Frequency, Backup when roaming, only back up over wi fi are the main 4 options. Select your desired options and configure it.
- Press Menu key and click on save.
You can also change the type of data that you want to back up. Follow the below steps:
- Open Blackberry Protect app.
- Press Menu key and click on options.
- Go to “Blackberry data to back up section”.
- Select the check boxes for type of data that you want.
- Contacts, Calendars, Memos, Tasks, Bookmarks, texts, wi fi profiles, Password keeper are some of the options to select.
- Press Menu key again and select Save.
If you want to turn off automatic back up in blackberry phone then follow below steps:
- Open Blackberry Protect app from homescreen.
- Menu >> Options >> Clear “Automatically Back up box”.
- Menu >> Save.
If you don’t have app then also you can back up your data using Blackberry Protect website from computer:
- Go to www.blackberry.com/protect on your computer.
- Log in using your blackberry ID credentials.
- Click “My Data” on the top of website.
- From the drop down list choose the Blackberry smartphone that you want to take back up now.
- Now Click on “Back up now“.
For BlackBerry® 10 devices, BlackBerry® Link is used to back up data.
You can also restore the old blackberry phone data into your new smartphone easily. You simply need to follow certain easy steps to get all your previous data on new mobile. However if you want to restore data on Blackberry 10 device from OS 7.1 or earlier then you must have Blackberry 10.1 OS or later on the new smartphone.
To restore data on new blackberry smartphone follow the below steps:
- Open Protect app from the homescreen. (An app or option under settings.)
- Look for “Restore option”. You can also use help app to find out more details.
- If you don’t know your OS version then go to Settings >> About.
You can also watch demo to use the app here : Watch Demo Now.
Above methods can be applied to almost every BlackBerry models. Here we are going to list few models on which this facility is available.
Beside these you can use the official guides from Blackberry to find your blackberry phone:
You can use BlackBerry Protect app on BlackBerry Priv, Z10, Z3, Passport, Leap, Q10, Z30, Classic, Q5, Bold Touch 9900, BOLD 9790,9700, 9780, 9000, Curve 8520, 9320, 9360, 9720, 9220, Torch 9800, 9810, 9860, Playbook, Porsche Design 9983, 9981, 9982, Tour, Pearl, Storm and Style Models.